Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Project in Ruins: from USA to UK

In my first post of the year, and my first post for a year, I return to A Project in Ruins to publish some of the photographs I have taken after my summer "chronicling the rise and fall of American architecture", as Judge Douglas Woodlock was kind enough to describe my project in his generous inscription in a book gifted to me in remembrance of my summer project of 2011.

Undertaking that project confirmed my own belief that the aesthetic pulchritude of the built world extends both to the unpreserved as well as the preserved, and that the beauty of an abandoned building is not merely a difference in degree to its inhabited counterpart, but, rather, of kind.

In my first post in this series, back in Boston, MA, in July of last year, I did not myself attempt to explain the allure of the ruined world.

Thus, I begin my UK endeavour as I began my US one, by recounting the telling words of Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre:


Ruins are the visible symbols and landmarks of our societies 
and their changes, small pieces of history in suspension.

The state of ruin is essentially a temporary situation that happens at 
some point, the volatile result of changes of eras and the fall of empires.
This fragility, the time elapsed but even so running fast, leads us to watch them one very last time : 
being dismayed, or admire, making us wonder about the permanence of things.

Photography appeared to be a modest way 
to keep a little bit of this ephemeral state.

No comments:

Post a Comment